Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A visit to the Alzheimer Centre

Today, my friends of a different Service group were going on their monthly trip to the Alzheimers' foundation. As I have never been to the center, therefore I thought that I should go to, and I went. This is also because I want to pursue my carrier in the field of medicine, so I thought it would be useful. During this visit, we interacted with elderly individuals who are affected by the Alzheimer's Disease, therefore we have to make sure that we were considerate towards what we said or did, therefore making sure that we didn't intimidate the patients, and taking care of everything that we did. Therefore considering the ethical implications of whatever we did.

I have never interacted face to face with an Alzheimer's patient. Therefore, this was a new challenge for me. It was easier than I expected, I think that this is because of the previous interactions that I have had with little children. As I used the same delicate way to communicate. This increased my own awareness of my own strength and area of growth.

This also engaged with an issue of global importance, as many families ignore their elders or find them annoying, interacting with such individuals helps the elderly with their life and also makes them feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment